Student Voice Team
What is the Student Voice Team?
The Student Voice Team is a group of students advocating for equitable and excellent education in Hamilton County.
Why have a Student Voice Team?
Students have historically had few opportunities or avenues to advocate for changes they wish to see and had little voice in the decisions that impact their daily lives. The Student Voice Team changes that.
Progress & Accomplishments
- UnifiEd’s Student Voice Team has helped elevate students’ perspectives and join the conversations that impact their education experience.
- The student members of the school board for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 school years were UnifiEd-trained student organizers.
- Approximately 30 high school students from across HCDE have been trained as organizers within their schools by UnifiEd staff.
- Student Voice Team member at STEM School successfully advocated for the adoption of bylaws for its Student Support Senate to clarify the group’s role and bring awareness of its purpose to more students.
- Students were a significant portion of respondents to the APEX equity survey, which identified the most urgent inequities in our schools and informed the work being undertaken by APEX Action Teams.
- The Student Voice Team worked with the school board attorney to update the system-wide bullying and harassment policy, which they had identified as the top issue affecting students during peer listening sessions and which was previously not compliant with state standards.
- The Student Voice Team has successfully implemented a student Principal Advisory Council at Lookout Valley Middle/High School and Red Bank High School.
- Students are working on implementing Principal Advisory Councils in other Hamilton County High Schools
- Students distributed surveys at the end of the 18-19 School year surveying over 450 Hamilton County students to determine what issue needs to be addressed. From this survey, it was determined that Mental Health was students top priority.
- In March 2020, our student's edits to the Hamilton County Student Suicide Prevention Policy was approved unanimously by the Hamilton County Schools Board of Education.
Life As A QuaranTEEN
School Board Enthusiasts
Let's Get Real
Lead Student Coordinator at Signal Mountain Middle/High
I'm a Senior at Signal Mountain Middle/High School. I have a passion for STEM, leadership, government, and theatre, and I am the state President of the Technology Student Association (TSA). I'm planning to attend college in the fall with a double major in Civil Engineering and Political Science, but I haven't decided which college I will attend yet. I first heard about UnifiEd during my sophomore year from my AP World History teacher and have loved being a part of the Student Voice Team ever since. I hope to see all other Hamilton County Students have the opportunity to have as good an education as I have been blessed to have.
Lead Student Coordinator at Red Bank High
I’m a senior at Red Bank High School. I am currently president of the Civics Club, and I am also the founder of Red Bank’s first Principal Advisory Council. My interest in UnifiEd’s work sparked at their early APEX project meetings, where I got to learn about my city’s history with inequities in education. Being apart of the Student Voice Team has made me feel as though I’m making a positive change in my community. I hope to see UnifiEd grow in its collaboration with students as they expand their outreach.
Student Organizer at STEM School
I am a sophomore from STEM School of Chattanooga with interests in the technological field. I'm involved in various groups like Robotics, Electric Car Club, Technology Student Association (TSA), Scouts BSA, ACT-SO, and Youth Court. Through the Step Up (PEF) program, I became acquainted with UnifiEd and with this opportunity. I strive to work as an advocate for specific issues and concerns within the community. As a lifelong learner, I’ve experienced a lack of interest when learning throughout my years of attending school. Commonly, students tend to see school as a place of repetitive and tedious learning which misrepresents the intended purpose of the concept itself. My goal is to make school not only a place for immersive learning but an enjoyable and safe environment with limitless possibilities and opportunities accessible to all students.
Student Organizer at Signal Mountain Middle/High
I am a sophomore at Signal Mountain Middle/High School. I have an interest in STEM, international politics, and music. I'm also involved in Model UN, Technology Student Association (TSA), and Band. I moved to Tennessee when I was in 5th grade, and I was blown away by all the opportunities and academics available. Unfortunately, I know many others may not have the same access to such resources. I want to help other students in Hamilton county attain these same opportunities as well as elevate their voices and concerns within the community.
Student Organizer at Hixson High
I am a junior at Hixson High School, currently in the business pathway. I participate in various clubs such as FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), NHS (National Honor Society), StepUp, Key Club, and Beta Club. I am also a student organizer on the Student Voice Team at UnifiEd. I became associated with UnifiEd through StepUp (PEF). I have been with UnifiEd since July of 2020, and I love what we do. UnifiEd focuses on change within Hamilton County and its schools, and as a member of the Student Voice Team, we focus a lot on specific changes in the schools we go to and changes we as students want to see. Being a part of the Student Voice Team gives me a chance to make a positive change to the community and Hamilton County Schools.
Student Organizer at Red Bank High School
I'm passionate about learning in all subjects (especially science), as well as art, music, and reading outside of school. At Red Bank, I am the junior class president, have established the Debate Club, and am a member of Beta Club and the Book Club. My goal is to use my voice to ensure that all children in Hamilton Country have access to an excellent education and mental health services, and can fulfill their passions however they see fit.