Student Voice Team
What is the Student Voice Team?
The Student Voice Team is a group of students advocating for equitable and excellent education in Hamilton County.
Why have a Student Voice Team?
Students have historically had few opportunities or avenues to advocate for changes they wish to see and had little voice in the decisions that impact their daily lives. The Student Voice Team changes that.
Progress & Accomplishments
- UnifiEd’s Student Voice Team has helped elevate students’ perspectives and join the conversations that impact their education experience.
- The student members of the school board for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 school years were UnifiEd-trained student organizers.
- Approximately 30 high school students from across HCDE have been trained as organizers within their schools by UnifiEd staff.
- Student Voice Team member at STEM School successfully advocated for the adoption of bylaws for its Student Support Senate to clarify the group’s role and bring awareness of its purpose to more students.
- Students were a significant portion of respondents to the APEX equity survey, which identified the most urgent inequities in our schools and informed the work being undertaken by APEX Action Teams.
- The Student Voice Team worked with the school board attorney to update the system-wide bullying and harassment policy, which they had identified as the top issue affecting students during peer listening sessions and which was previously not compliant with state standards.
- The Student Voice Team has successfully implemented a student Principal Advisory Council at Lookout Valley Middle/High School and Red Bank High School.
- Students are working on implementing Principal Advisory Councils in other Hamilton County High Schools
- Students distributed surveys at the end of the 18-19 School year surveying over 450 Hamilton County students to determine what issue needs to be addressed. From this survey, it was determined that Mental Health was students top priority.
- In March 2020, our student's edits to the Hamilton County Student Suicide Prevention Policy was approved unanimously by the Hamilton County Schools Board of Education.
Lead Student Coordinator
Lead Student Coordinator at Red Bank High School
I'm passionate about learning in all subjects (especially science), as well as art, music, and reading outside of school. At Red Bank, I am the junior class president, have established the Debate Club, and am a member of Beta Club and the Book Club. My goal is to use my voice to ensure that all children in Hamilton Country have access to an excellent education and mental health services, and can fulfill their passions however they see fit.
Student Organizer at East Ridge High School
Hi! I’m an upcoming senior at East Ridge High School with an aspiration to become a nurse. I am involved in several activities within my school, including the Beta Club, National Honor Society, the Student Superintendent Advisory Council, and the Cheer Team captain. As an extrovert and someone who loves being around people, my goal in life is to help those around me. I seek to be someone who stands up for change and helps lift those around me who aren’t able to. My goal while at UnifiEd is to open more opportunities for everyone in Hamilton County Schools for a better learning experience and preparation for the future.
Student Organizer at STEM School
I am a sophomore from STEM School of Chattanooga with interests in the technological field. I'm involved in various groups like Robotics, Electric Car Club, Technology Student Association (TSA), Scouts BSA, ACT-SO, and Youth Court. Through the Step Up (PEF) program, I became acquainted with UnifiEd and with this opportunity. I strive to work as an advocate for specific issues and concerns within the community. As a lifelong learner, I’ve experienced a lack of interest when learning throughout my years of attending school. Commonly, students tend to see school as a place of repetitive and tedious learning which misrepresents the intended purpose of the concept itself. My goal is to make school not only a place for immersive learning but an enjoyable and safe environment with limitless possibilities and opportunities accessible to all students.
Student Organizer at Signal Mountain Middle/High School
I am a sophomore at Signal Mountain Middle/High School. I have an interest in STEM, international politics, and music. I'm also involved in Model UN, Technology Student Association (TSA), and Band. I moved to Tennessee when I was in 5th grade, and I was blown away by all the opportunities and academics available. Unfortunately, I know many others may not have the same access to such resources. I want to help other students in Hamilton county attain these same opportunities as well as elevate their voices and concerns within the community.
Student Organizer at Red Bank High School
I am a freshman at Red Bank High School, and I aspire to work and study in psychology. I have always been passionate about mental health and how to help others that deal with mental health issues. I am a co-founder and co-president of my very own club called the Zen Club, which is a mental health awareness club that offers a safe and fun environment for people struggling with issues to relax and have fun. The Zen Club teaches people coping skills, relaxation skills, and mental health awareness. I am also part of the Civics Club, Principal Advisory Council, Art Club, Leo's, and will soon join the Mayor's Council for Women. I am someone who wants to help bring change and to lift voices. I am passionate about what I do. My goal while at UnifiEd is to provide help to students, teachers, and parents when they need them, to help bring academic opportunities to students who want them, and spread awareness on mental health and how it correlates to health, academics, and behavior.
Student Organizer at Brainerd High School
I am a Senior at Brainerd High School, and I serve as Vice President of the National Honor Society Chapter and as an Ambassador for the Institute of Law, First Responders, and Forensic Science at my school. As an ambassador, I conduct campus tours of Brainerd High School and its institute, serve as a host for open house events, workshops, college fairs, and in other leadership capacities as needed. I am involved in several extracurriculars. I am a member of Chattanooga’s Mayor Youth Council, a youth member of the NAACP Chattanooga/Hamilton Branch, a YMCA Youth Trust Leader, and a participant in UTC’s Upward Bound Math-Science PRISM, STEP-UP Chattanooga, and a volunteer at the Humane Educational Society of Chattanooga. I joined UnifiEd because I am passionate about voicing the concerns of myself and my peers for the betterment of our education. UnifiEd’s mission that EVERY student in Hamilton County deserves an equitable and high-quality education is very important to me.
Student Organizer at Chattanooga School for the Arts and Sciences
I am a junior at the Chattanooga School for Arts and Sciences, and I am interested in economics and public policy. I am a senior captain of the Science Olympiad, part of the Mock Trial team, and a member of the Paideia Honor Society. I am also involved in the Hamilton County Youth Courts, the Mayor’s Youth Council, and a strings quartet and orchestra. I intend to use the experience I have gained from participating in these extracurriculars and being a Hamilton County student to advocate for students, parents, and teachers. I understand the importance of a good education, and I aim to open more opportunities for students and ensure that they are supported throughout the process. I will work to create solid foundations for every student and secure resources for teachers in their classrooms. It is important to me that everyone is able to access the services they need. Education is more than just testing; it is a well-rounded system that nurtures and promotes growth.