Student Voice Team
What is the Student Voice Team?
The Student Voice Team is a group of students advocating for equitable and excellent education in Hamilton County.
Why have a Student Voice Team?
Students have historically had few opportunities or avenues to advocate for changes they wish to see and had little voice in the decisions that impact their daily lives. The Student Voice Team changes that.
Progress & Accomplishments
- UnifiEd’s Student Voice Team has helped elevate students’ perspectives and join the conversations that impact their education experience.
- The student members of the school board for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 school years were UnifiEd-trained student organizers.
- Approximately 30 high school students from across HCDE have been trained as organizers within their schools by UnifiEd staff.
- Student Voice Team member at STEM School successfully advocated for the adoption of bylaws for its Student Support Senate to clarify the group’s role and bring awareness of its purpose to more students.
- Students were a significant portion of respondents to the APEX equity survey, which identified the most urgent inequities in our schools and informed the work being undertaken by APEX Action Teams.
- The Student Voice Team worked with the school board attorney to update the system-wide bullying and harassment policy, which they had identified as the top issue affecting students during peer listening sessions and which was previously not compliant with state standards.
- The Student Voice Team has successfully implemented a student Principal Advisory Council at Lookout Valley Middle/High School and Red Bank High School.
- Students are working on implementing Principal Advisory Councils in other Hamilton County High Schools
- Students distributed surveys at the end of the 18-19 School year surveying over 450 Hamilton County students to determine what issue needs to be addressed. From this survey, it was determined that Mental Health was students top priority.
- In March 2020, our student's edits to the Hamilton County Student Suicide Prevention Policy was approved unanimously by the Hamilton County Schools Board of Education.
Life As A QuaranTEEN
School Board Enthusiasts
Let's Get Real
Lead Student Coordinator at Signal Mountain Middle/High
I'm a Senior at Signal Mountain Middle/High School. I have a passion for STEM, leadership, government, and theatre and I am the state President for the Technology Student Association (TSA). I first heard about UnifiEd during my sophomore year from my AP World History teacher and have loved being a part of the Student Voice Team ever since. I hope to see all other Hamilton County Students have the opportunity to have as good of an education as I have been blessed to have.
Lead Student Coordinator at Red Bank High
I’m the junior class president and student organizer at my school for programs such as Model United Nations and Youth in Government. I’ve established a Principle advisory council as well as a Young Entrepreneurs Club. I’m passionate about personal advocacy and stepping into positions of power to be the representation that I wish to see in the world. My goal is to make an impact as a student through policy, so in the years to come, our educational system in Hamilton County will be more attainable for a wider variety of students. I hope to see UnifiEd grow as an organization and for our work to be recognized by the community. I’m a cat lover and friend, but more than that, I want to be a helpful part of the community as a young, student leader, and future politician.
Student Organizer at Hixson High
I am a junior at Hixson High School, currently in the business pathway. I participate in various clubs such as FBLA, Student Council, StepUp, and Beta Club. I'm also a student organizer on the student voice team at UnifiEd. I became associated with UnifiEd through StepUp (PEF).
Student Organizer at East Hamilton Middle/High
My name is Samuel, and I have been a member of Hamilton county since birth. I was raised here in Chattanooga and I am dedicated to improving the lives of those living here. I am a Junior at East Hamilton High School and began working for UnifiEd in 2020. I am interested in community work, advocacy, and the occasional hike. I hope that, by working with UnifiEd, I will be granted the opportunity to improve the public school system which I have spent my education in.